SANTA ANA, Calif. (CNS)—Orange County’s COVID-19 cases jumped from 152 on March 24 to 187 on March 25.
Orange County health officials on March 24 announced the county’s first death from COVID-19.
The 75-year-old man, whose name was not released, was hospitalized March 17 and died two days later. Doctors tested him for COVID-19 while treating him, but the test results were not received by Orange County officials until March 24.
“I am deeply saddened to announce that last night we got our first death to coronavirus in Orange County,” Board of Supervisors Chairwoman Michelle Steel said at a news conference on March 25. “Our thoughts and prayers are with this man, his family, and loved ones.”
Orange County’s number of confirmed COVID-19 cases increased by 27 on March 24 to 152, and another 35 on March 25 to bring the total to 187.
Of the total, 62 cases were contracted by residents while traveling, 17 by person-to-person spread and 57 were “community acquired,” according to Orange County Public Health officials. Fifty-one are under investigation as to how the patients were infected.
The male-female ratio is 117 to 70. The hardest-hit age range is 18 to 49, with 101 cases; 54 cases involved individuals 50 to 64 years old; and 31 patients are 65 and older. One is a child.
There have been 2,442 people tested, leaving county officials with enough tests for 1,328 people.
Rep. Katie Porter (D-Irvine) is among those awaiting test results. The first-term congresswoman announced on social media that she developed “cold-like symptoms” last week, called her doctor and was tested for COVID- 19.
Porter, who posted a photo of herself wearing a surgical mask, said she would remain quarantined until she’s given the clearance by her doctor to leave the house.
“I am participating by telephone in congressional business and listening to the concerns of our Orange County community,” Porter wrote, adding that her children are so far healthy and “handling things well.”
Community Service Call Centers Extend Hours
Effective March 25, Orange County Community Services expanded call center hours to meet the needs of seniors, veterans, business owners, and the unemployed affected by the CCP virus.
The Epoch Times refers to the novel coronavirus, which causes the disease COVID-19, as the CCP virus because the Chinese Communist Party’s coverup and mismanagement allowed the virus to spread throughout China and create a global pandemic.
Orange County Community Services oversees the Orange County Veterans Service Office, Office on Aging and Community Investment Division programs.
Call Center operators will be available to take calls at 714-480-6450 on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., and on weekends from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
“The Call Center is staffed and operated by caring, skilled, bilingual and bicultural information assistance professionals who can assess situations and offer resources tailored to meet individual needs,” according to a county statement.
The Call Center has translation available in more than 240 languages.
For additional information on programs, visit www.occommunityservices.org.
For general information about COVID-19, call the OC Health Care Agency’s Health Referral Line at 800-564-8448, visit http://www.ochealthinfo.com/novelcoronavirus, or follow the HCA on Facebook (@ochealthinfo) and Twitter (@ochealth).
For non-medical questions, contact the County of Orange Public Information Hotline at 714-628-7085.
Go to Source
Author: City News Service