The Naval Postgraduate School (NPS) Center for Homeland Defense and Security (CHDS) hosted the 12th Annual Homeland Defense & Security Education Summit in Monterey, California on October 30th to November 1st. The theme for this year’s event was “Public Interest Security: Leveraging Education to Connect Policy and Operations with American Perspectives of Homeland Security.”
The 12th Annual Summit, supported by the Department of Homeland Security and FEMA National Preparedness Directorate, featured research presentations on two key areas: (1) Border Issues and (2) Technology and Influence Operations. The summit brought together subject matter experts from academic, practitioner, government, and private sectors.
The members of Homeland Security Digital Library (HSDL) team found this to be a great opportunity to find out what those “in the field” are giving focus to and consequently, where we can focus on collecting materials to meet those needs. We fielded two survey questions which resulted in the following responses:
- What (Homeland Security related) issue scares you most?
- Civic/Political Attitude, Behavior, and Civic Disconnect
- Civil/Human Rights
- Climate/Disasters and Climate Change
- Communication and Disinformation
- Cyberspace and Digital/Cyber Security
- Crumbling Infrastructure
- Homeland Security Management, Training and Multi-Domain Operations
- Public Health, Diseases and Health Security
- Threats of Domestic Extremism, EMP, and Weapons of Mass Effect
- What needs more focus in Homeland Security Today and Beyond?
- Competencies & Roles of Non-Traditional Professions in Homeland Security
- Displaced Populations (cause & effect)
- Domestic Hate Groups / Anti-government Groups
- Election Security
- Human Rights
- Information Sharing Across Sectors
- Infrastructure Security
- Leadership, Morals, and Morale
- Systems/Intersection (Technology and Society)
We welcome our users to continue this conversation by going to Ask a Librarian and give us your views.
The HSDL offers many resources related to the issues raised during the survey, including Active Shooters, Border Security, Climate Change, Cyber Crime, Cyber Infrastructure Protection, Energy Security, Pandemics & Epidemics, Nuclear Weapons, and many others.
Visit the Featured Topics for more information. Please note: HSDL login is required to view some of these resources.
Go to Source
Author: Julia West