An Alabama man said he nearly died after contracting flesh-eating bacteria during a trip to the beach.
“I almost lost my leg or my life,” Tony Meredith of Colquitt told WKRG.
Meredith’s family recently took an annual trip to the Panama City Beach, but five days later he experienced flu-like symptoms. The initial diagnoses was a kidney infection—until his leg turned purple.
After rushing to the hospital, Meredith was placed on triage and soon diagnosed with the bacteria, necrotizing fasciitis. It had entered through a small scratch below the man’s knee while he was in the water.